- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place a baking pan half full of water in oven.
- Bring a saucepan of water to barely simmering. Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Place over water and stir until almost melted. Remove bowl from heat and let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Sift together twice all the dry ingredients except sugar. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and vanilla until foamy and light. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Stir in chocolate-butter mixture. Fold in dry ingredients. Pour into five 8-ounce custard cups, filling each nearly to rim. Place in baking pan; water should come halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brownies have risen to just above the rim and tops are cracked. They should be firm to the touch. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve dusted with confectioners’ sugar.