Thai Fish Cakes Recipe
- 1lb/500g white fish fillets, cut into chunks (anything will work)
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 tsp fish sauce (or sub with light soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup rice flour (or cornstarch / corn flour)
- 6 green beans, finely sliced (optional – it’s used in authentic recipes)
- 4 – 6 tbsp oil (vegetable, canola, sun flower)
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Cilantro/coriander leaves
- Lime wedges
- Place fish, red curry paste, cilantro/coriander, fish sauce, lime and egg in a food processor. Whizz until the fish is minced.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir through rice flour and green beans.
- Fill a shallow dish with a bit of water (to wet the egg flip so it doesn’t stick to the fish cakes).
- Heat enough oil in skillet over medium high heat to cover the base (3 – 4 tbsp)
- Place ¼ cup (I use an ice cream scoop – Note 2) of batter in the skillet and pat down to 1cm / 2/5″ thick with a spatula dipped in water. I cook 4 to 5 at a time. Cook for 3 minutes until deep golden brown, then turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil into the skillet if required.
- Serve Thai Fish Cakes with Sweet Chilli Sauce, garnished with cilantro/coriander leaves and lime wedges on the side.