Sweet Potato and Quinoa Cakes (Gluten-Free)
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans
- 1(60 g) carrots, grated
- 1 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs (or use a piece of dry gluten-free bread processed in a food processor)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce(optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- Steam sweet potatoes until soft. Peel and mash in a bowl and set aside.
- Place quinoa and 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the water is absorbed for about 15 – 20 minutes. Set aside. You will use only one cup of cooked quinoa. Store the leftover for later use.
- Sauté onion and garlic with 1 Tbsp of olive oil until the onion is soft.
- In the bowl containing the mashed sweet potato, add all the other ingredients and combine well.
- Make patties (10 – 12 patties depending on the size).
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook patties for about 5 minutes each side. You might have to cook in two batches.
- Infuse love and serve with your favorite sauce.