- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled (sweet or hot)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 lb spinach, stems trimmed
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup broken pieces capellini (1-inch) or 1/2 cup vermicelli
- 4 slices French bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat a large saucepot over high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add spinach and broth. Fill one empty can of broth with water; add to pot. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Add capellini, cover and boil 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. Broil bread slices on cookie sheet about 1 minute per side, until toasted. Drizzle each slice with 1 teaspoons oil; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
- Divide soup among 4 large soup bowls and top each serving with prepared toasts.