- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 7 ounces frozen peas (or rinsed canned beans)
- 9 ounces fresh filled tortellini (choose non meat filling for a vegetarian soup )
- 1/2 cup basil leaves (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the carrots and onion for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the stock and tomatoes, then simmer for 10 minutes Add the peas or beans with 5 mins to go.
- Once veggies are tender, stir in the pasta. Return to the boil and simmer for 2 mins until the pasta is just cooked. Stir in the basil, if using. Season, then serve in bowls topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan and slices of garlic bread.