Salted Caramel Apple Hand Pies Recipe
- 1-box store-bought refrigerated pie crust (2 rolls) *I like to use Pillsbury
- 2 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (about 3 apples, diced small)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Large flake sea salt
- 10 store-bought soft caramels, cubed
- ½ lemon juiced
- Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 Tablespoon water)
- Crystal sanding sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar and flour. Mix until apples are thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a well-floured surface. Using a 3-inch circular cookie cutter or glass, cut out as many circles as possible. Using a rolling-pin, roll out the scraps and continue cutting out circles until you run out of dough.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the apple filling into the center of half of the pie circles. Make sure to leave enough of a border around the filling to seal them shut. Do not overfill!
- Top the apple filling with a few pieces of caramel.
- Brush around the edges of the dough with a finger dipped in egg wash. This will be the “glue”.
- Place a second dough circle on top each filled circle then use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Brush each pie with the egg wash, and cut two vents on the top of each pie with a sharp knife. Sprinkle the pies with crystal sanding sugar and place on prepared sheet pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake the pies for 15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.