- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Orange slices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust pans evenly with 2 tablespoons flour.
- Combine 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute and eggs; beat until well blended. Add pumpkin, beating until blended.
- Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove cake from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended (do not overbeat). Add juice, stirring until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread 1 cup frosting over layer, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with pecans, and garnish with orange slices, if desired.