- 1 pound deep orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (often labeled “yams”), peeled and cut into 1- to 2-in. chunks
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons white (shiro) miso
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1. Steam sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with a steamer basket and 1 in. water until very tender, about 20 minutes. (If you don’t have a steamer, just simmer chunks in the water, stirring occasionally.) Drain, reserving liquid, and let cool slightly.
- 2. Whirl ginger in a food processor to mince. Add sweet potatoes, miso, tahini, soy sauce, and enough reserved sweet potato liquid for a creamy texture, about 3 tbsp.; whirl until smooth.
- 3. Transfer dip to a bowl and stir in 1 1/2 tbsp. green onions. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tbsp. onions and the sesame seeds. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with bok choy or cucumber slices.