Mini Pizza Tarts
- 1 box frozen puff pastry, such as Pepperidge Farm, thawed
- Pizza sauce or your favorite marinara or a white sauce such as alfredo
- Shredded or sliced cheeses such as mozzarella, sharp white cheddar, havarti, gouda, etc.
- Your favorite pizza toppings such as pepperoni, olives, red onions, mushrooms, etc.
- Fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, tarragon, etc., optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once your puff pastry is thawed, lightly flour a cutting board, unfold each pastry and cut each piece into 9 equal square pieces first by cutting three even rows, then cutting each row into three equal squares. In a regular-sized nonstick muffin pan (or a square brownie pan such as the one shown above), press each pastry square into a muffin well, folding down any corners that stick up. Dollop about a teaspoon (or more, to taste) of sauce into each pastry-lined well. Drop in about a teaspoon of shredded cheese or tear three to four small pieces of sliced cheese and drop onto the sauce. Proceed with your favorite pizza toppings – the more toppings you use, the less the pastry will try to bubble up as it bakes. Finish by adding just a little bit more cheese on top of each pizza tart.
- Bake in middle of the oven for about 15 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown. If using fresh herbs, immediately sprinkle on each tart as soon as you remove the pan from the oven. Let cool slightly, about 3-5 minutes and remove from pan, using a butter knife around the top edges if necessary. Serve warm.