Fish with Spicy Salsa Recipe
- 2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and diced (Note 1)
- ½ tsp fresh chili, finely chopped (or ¼ tsp red pepper flakes)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- ¼ cup, packed, basil leaves
- 6 slices eggplant, 1cm / ½” thick
- 2 x 150g/5oz fish fillets (I used perch)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Combine the Spicy Salsa ingredients except basil in a bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes to sweat so juices seep and the tomatoes soften.
- Season eggplant and fish generously with salt and pepper. Then dust fish with flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a non stick skillet over high heat. Add the eggplant and cook each side until charred and softened – about 2 minutes first side, 1½ minutes second side. Remove onto a plate.
- Heat remaining oil. Add fish and cook until light golden on both sides, pressing down with an egg flip to brown it evenly.
- Tear basil leaves with your hands and toss through the salsa.
- To serve, place 3 eggplants on each plate, top with a piece of fish and spoon over the salsa + juices. Serve with toasted sourdough on the side.