- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 (11.5-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chunks, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- Powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a 3 1/2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup chocolate chunks until smooth. Let cool 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, stirring just until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt; stir in remaining chocolate chunks and hazelnuts. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture in saucepan. Spread into a lightly greased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 325° for 23 to 28 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into squares.
To freeze up to 3 months: Wrap baked brownies in aluminum foil, and place in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. To thaw, remove brownies from plastic bag, and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours; unwrap and serve.