Chewy Oatmeal Scotchies Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (measured properly)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (preferably dark brown)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ap flour, baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate large bowl with a hand mixer (or the bowl of the stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment) cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and the vanilla until just incorporated.
- Using a spoon, stir in the dry ingredients until just incorporated. The dough will be thick.
- Using clean hands, fold in the rolled oats and butterscotch chips.
- Scoop large rounded mounds of dough onto baking sheets,, about 8 per sheet. Top each mound with a few more butterscotch chips and a light sprinkling of kosher salt if desired.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time at 325 for about 12 minutes, until the edges are set and the centers are still slightly underdone. Let the cookies sit on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before removing to cool further.