- 1 package 2-layer-sizeGerman chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 5 ounce can (2/3 cup)evaporated milk
- 1 14 ounce packagevanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, melted butter and 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread half the dough in prepared baking pan; set aside remaining dough. In a heavy large saucepan combine caramels and remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Pour evenly over dough layer in pan. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate pieces. Crumble remaining dough evenly over nuts and chocolate pieces.
3. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 48 bars.