- 6-ounce piece sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. In a food processor fitted with the grating blade, grate cheese. Switch to cutting blade; add flour, butter, mustard powder, salt, ground pepper, and cayenne. Pulse until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface; divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, about 3/8 inch in diameter and 18 inches long; cut each rope into six 3-inch pieces. Place pieces 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Drag the tines of a fork down each straw to create ridges.
- Bake until golden and firm to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.