- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled Fuji apple (about 1 pound)
- Caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel sundae syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. To prepare the topping, weigh or lightly spoon 1.1 ounces (about 1/4 cup) flour in a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until crumbly. Transfer topping to a bowl; cover and chill.
2. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon 5.6 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) flour in dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add 3 tablespoons butter and shortening; pulse 4 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, add 3 tablespoons water through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover and chill 15 minutes. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap dough, and place on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Freeze dough 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.
3. Preheat oven to 375°.
4. Discard top 2 sheets of plastic wrap; let dough stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough, plastic-wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Discard plastic wrap. Press dough into bottom and sides of pan. Fold edges under; flute.
5. To prepare filling, combine granulated sugar and cornstarch in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add apples; toss to combine. Arrange apple mixture in crust, mounding slightly in the center. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle evenly with topping. Bake at 375° for 25 additional minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes.
6. To prepare sauce, combine caramel syrup and salt. Slice pie into 12 wedges, and serve with sauce.