Blueberry Muffin Cookies
For the streusel topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
For the cookies:
- 10 tablespoon of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brwon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup of cottage cheese, pureed
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 oz raspberries
- 6 oz blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper.
To make the streusel:
- Place flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add cold butter into bowl and using a pastry blender or a fork cut butter into dry mixture until it resembles small pellets. Set aside.
To make the cookies:
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat and heat until butter becomes brown and smells nutty. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place granulated sugar and dark brown sugar in a stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment and beat until blended. Add in melted butter and beat until combined. Add in egg and beat on medium high until mixture becomes light and opaque, about 3-4 minutes. Add in vanilla and pureed cottage cheese and beat until combined.
- Change whisk attachment to paddle attachment.
- Sift together cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then add this mixture into wet mixture and beat until combined. Turn mixer to low and gradually add in flour and beat to combine. Add in raspberries and give mixer two to three turns to crush raspberries into the dough. Turn off mixture and fold in blueberries. Dough will be sticky.
- Drop two tablespoons (At FFA, we actually used one heaping tablespoon, six cookies to a sheet) on parchment lined bake sheet. Bake one tray at a time for 8 minutes. Remove cookie filled bake sheet and heavily sprinkle streusel on top of cookies and gently press onto cookie, about 1 tablespoon per cookie (don’t worry if it spills onto the bake sheet). Return baking sheet to oven and bake for another 4 minutes. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on bake sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.