- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces penne
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup panko (or other coarse bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 ounces ham, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF; grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; cook until broccoli is tender, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Pour into casserole.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Remove 1 Tbsp. from pan and drizzle over panko in a small bowl. Add flour to pan; whisk until smooth and bubbling, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Add paprika and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Stir until sauce begins to boil, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups Cheddar and all of Gruyère and Parmesan into sauce until smooth. Stir in ham.
- Stir sauce into pasta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar and reserved panko. Bake until top browns and sauce bubbles, about 30 minutes.