Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, drained well
- 1 (lb) center cut bacon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- toothpicks (see note)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the soy sauce, vegetable oil, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, and pepper. Add the drained chestnuts and mix to coat. Cover and marinate in fridge at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a jelly roll pan or 9×13 pan with foil or parchment paper and place a metal cooking rack on top or use a broiler pan so that the drippings can fall off.
- Cut the bacon slices in half or in thirds, depending on how big the bacon is. Drain water chestnuts from marinade. Roll one water chestnut in a piece of bacon, secure w/ toothpick. Roll in brown sugar. Bake 30-40 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Don’t worry if the fat and brown sugar that fall off smoke a little.