- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry
- 2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper (to season)
- 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup cream
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425°F In a large bowl, mix together the sausage, onion, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and milk or cream.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut each sheet in two lengthwise to make four long rectangles. Form a log of sausage down the center of each puff pastry sheet, leaving a 1-inch edge. Starting from a long edge, roll the puff pastry up and over the sausage, brushing the edge with the beaten egg to seal. Pinch the ends closed.
- Cut each roll into quarters. Place the rolls seam-side down on a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F, and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden and the sausage is cooked through.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then serve with ketchup.
•Add extra flavorings to your sausage mix as you like: chopped parsley, thyme, curry powder, crumbled sage, garlic powder, paprika.
•Appetizer Portions: Cut each rolled up puff pastry log into 8 portions instead of 4 to make appetizer-sized sausage rolls. Adjust down the cooking time to allow for the smaller size.
•Sprinkle the rolls with sesame seeds or paprika before baking.