Arugula Salad with Grapes and Black Pepper Vinaigrette Recipe
For the Pickled Red Onions
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup champagne vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 red onions, very thinly sliced
For the Black Pepper Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
For the Salad
- 2½ cups red California grapes, halved
- 2 cups cooked farro or a gluten free alternative like quinoa (I found pre-cooked farro in the rice section of the grocery store and it worked great)
- 3 cups arugula
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- Pickled Red Onions: Place the vinegars, water, sugar, and salt in a jar with a tight fitting – shake lid until well combined. Add the sliced red onions. Refrigerate at least 24 hours or longer for best flavor.
- Dressing: Place the vinegar, olive oil, sugar, pepper, and salt in a jar. Crush the garlic clove and just drop it in the jar in one or two pieces – the idea is that you’ll still get some fresh garlic flavor infused into the dressing without the little pieces of raw garlic in the dressing when you serve it. 🙂 Shake to combine. You can make this ahead.
- Assembly: Toss the grapes and farro with about half of the dressing. Add the arugula, basil, cashews, and a handful (however much you want) of the pickled red onions. Toss to combine. Add additional dressing if it needs any more – for me, the original amount of dressing was just about right. Let the salad sit for just a few minutes to really get it nice and yummy, soaking in that dressing.