Artichoke Chicken Skillet
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts $3.99
- Pinch salt & Pepper $0.05
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided $0.32
- 3 cloves garlic $0.24
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes $0.99
- 1 (15 oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts $2.50
- 1 tsp dried basil $0.10
- 1 tsp lemon zest (about ½ medium lemon) $0.50
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley $0.21
- 12 oz. cooked pasta of your choice $0.94
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover with a large sheet of plastic wrap. Use a mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken out to an even, ½ inch thickness. Cut the chicken breasts into 6 pieces, each about the size of a deck of cards. Season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown on each side (about 5 min. per side). If necessary, cook the chicken in batches to avoid over crowding the skillet. Remove the chicken to a plate once browned.
- While the chicken is browning, mince the garlic, drain the artichoke hearts and give them a rough chop. Chop the fresh parsley leaves and zest the lemon (use a small holed cheese grater or a zester to remove the thin, yellow layer of the lemon peel).
- After all of the chicken has browned and is removed from the skillet, add the second tablespoon of olive oil and the minced garlic. Cook the garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Add the chopped artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes (with juices), dried basil, lemon zest, and about ⅛ tsp of salt. Stir to combine.
- Return the browned chicken to the skillet and nestle it down into the tomatoes and artichoke hearts. Allow the skillet to come up to a simmer, then let the chicken simmer in the skillet for 15 minutes, flipping it once half way through.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley over top, then spoon the chicken and chunky sauce over a bowl of pasta. Top with cheese if desired.