- Nonstick spray
- 3 large eggs, separated, plus 3 large yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cups grated Granny Smith apples (from 6 peeled apples), squeezed dry
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon plum brandy, such as Slivovitz, or regular brandy
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat an 8-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 6 egg yolks, sugar, and salt until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold in apples, matzo meal, lemon zest, and brandy.
- In another medium bowl, with clean beaters, beat 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into apple mixture and transfer batter to pan. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with pecans. Bake until golden brown and set in center, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack. To serve, run a small knife around edge of pan, remove cake, and slice.
Store cooled cake in pan, covered with plastic, at room temperature, up to 1 day.