Salted Caramel Corn Recipe
- 15 cups popped plain popcorn (from about 1/2 cup kernels)
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ((1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Measure out all of your ingredients and read the recipe a few times before you start cooking the caramel!
- Preheat your oven to 200F. Place the popped plain popcorn in a very large bowl or pot that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Prepare a half sheet pan, or large baking sheet with sides, by spraying with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Place the dark brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla in the a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolves. Once the mixture comes to a boil, continue cooking for 3 more minutes without stirring.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and quickly whisk in the baking soda. The mixture will start to foam up and become light in color. Whisk vigorously for about 10 seconds.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and quickly but gently fold it in.
- Pour the caramel coated popcorn over the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 200F for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove the caramel corn from the oven after 1 hour and immediately sprinkle generously with kosher salt and toss. Allow the caramel corn to cool on the baking sheet. You can break apart the large chunks if desired. It will become crispy as it cools.
- Store cooled caramel corn in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.